“Within Reach” is the theme for the 2017-18 Reflections Art Program which has been bringing the arts to life for more than 10 million students since 1969. Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired.
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork.
- Experience the fun and joy of making art.
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme.
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
PARTICIPATION IS EASY, EXCITING AND EMPOWERING!
All students are invited to participate and submit original artwork in one of six areas:
- Film production
- Music composition
- Visual arts.
Artworks are submitted first to school-level PTAs, where they are first recognized, celebrated and judged by five grade-level divisions, while a non-judged Special Artists division celebrates student artists with special needs. School PTAs then choose a selection of entries to be judged by local PTA units, which are then sent on to councils and then districts for consideration. The final artworks submitted to California State PTA by districts are then considered for Awards of Excellence or Awards of Merit. Award of Excellence entries then go on to represent California in the final National PTA judging round. Please review general entry rules.
State-level Award of Excellence honorees receive:
- The opportunity to showcase their artwork at the California State PTA Convention
- Prizes including an Award of Excellence medal, certificate and a $100 savings bond presented on stage at convention
- An expense-paid trip for the award-winning student and one parent/guardian to convention.
- State-level winners were recognized at the 2017 California State PTA Annual Convention. National-level Award of Excellence honorees are recognized at the National PTA Convention, plus their artworks are featured in Reflections’ popular traveling national exhibit.
Entries are due to Lowell PTA by October 20, 2017. Please submit all entry forms with the work of art to the PTA Workroom. There will be a box labeled PTA Reflections near the lock box.
Please contact Andrea Torrez-Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org, with additional questions.