January is the time for goal setting. As parents, we all have the goal to help our children succeed in school and in life. As we renew our goals this year, I wanted to share an article from the California State PTA on how we, as parents, can give our children a great foundation to succeed in school.
Parent Corner: Support Learning Everywhere
Working together, parents and teachers give kids their best chance to learn. The CaliforniaTeachers Association and California State PTA have joined forces to offer some tips for you that will give your children the best opportunity to succeed in school:
- Just Ask – Ask your children what they studied in class today, what they liked and what they learned. Asking questions shows that school is important.
- Quiet Study – Choose a place for home study and make sure the room is quiet during that time. Creating a quiet place goes a long way toward helping your children learn.
- Regular Schedule – Set up a certain time of day that is dedicated to homework. Follow up with your children to be sure their homework is complete and turned in on time.
- Learn Together – If you want your children to read their assignments, give yourself an assignment too. When it’s time for them to do homework, take a break and spend a few minutes reading a book, magazine or newspaper.
- Learn Everywhere – Increase your children’s interest in homework by connecting school to everyday life. For instance, your children can learn fractions and measurements while you prepare favorite foods together.
- Meet Their Teachers – Meet with your children’s teachers to find out what they are learning and discuss their progress in school.
- Praise Helps – Praise your children for successfully completing homework. Nothing encourages children more than praise from their parents.
President, Lowell PTA